Thursday 3 November 2011

Day 48: Camel - Mirage

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel. I can't believe it's been over two months since you were born now, I miss you every day and I'm not sure when it will start to get easier, but I'll be strong for you. Been playing some games recently, it's been a long time since I've been able to enjoy video games like I used to when I was younger but it's nice, at least for the sake of nostalgia. Whenever I am having any fun I can feel you there with me Nathaniel, and that's especially nice.

We're listening to Camel's second album right now. I really love the first four Camel albums, they always have something new to hear and that's one of the great things about this type of music. It never gets boring to listen to over and over again. Andrew Latimer's flute playing is very nice, and it's always cool to have that instrument incorporated into rock music such as with Jethro Tull. I think the reason I chose this album over the other three was because of the final track on this album being the height of their work, but I can discuss that when we get to it.

Camel often meander along with their music resulting in something that is very pleasant to listen to but often quite difficult to define. I suppose there can be said to be a lack of direction in general, at least until the Snow Goose but it really doesn't let them down to a massive extent. It's hard to find fault at any rate with how they did make their music. It lacks impact, but that's not why you'd listen to Camel anyways. It puts me in mind of jazz, or at least how I feel when I listen to jazz, it's something that's nice to relax too, but there's always something extra under the surface if you want to really engage with the music.

I think the reason why I like Lady Fantasy so much is because of how well it defines itself from the rest of the album. Obviously it's the longest track on the album, but not only that but it really grabs the attention of the listener and it's always a joy to experience. But unlike most other longish prog songs it lacks any real buildup to climax moment .

I love you my angel Nathaniel, goodnight.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment