Sunday 2 October 2011

Day 25: The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel, We stayed up all through the day yesterday and went to bed near a proper nighttime so essentially over the past week or so we've missed a full day by being awake for longer than we should have consistently. So right now we almost have a normal sleeping pattern which we need to sort stuff out throughout the week. The only problem is I know it won't take long for out pattern to get messed up again because it's so hard to sleep, I miss you so much.

It's been a whole month now since you were born, I can't believe it's already the second of October. It was so amazing to meet you and I'm so glad I was able to get that time, and all the times afterwards that I got to meet you. I could always feel you there with us when me and your mam came to see you it was lovely.

Continuing the 60's them with a good friend of Clapton we're listening to the debut of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Jimi Hendrix is a tragic story of shortlived talent, brought to the UK with the specific intention of forming the Jimi Hendrix experience he was almost guaranteed to be a success with the management he had. It's amazing how quickly the music scene was moving at the time in the UK and the experience managed to pump out three albums in two years before the band became defunct and Hendrix himself died.

The thing about Hendrix was that he wasn't afraid to experiment with his guitar in order to get the sound he wanted in recordings and to please the crowd live. He will always be remembered as the guy who played the guitar with his teeth. However in recordings it has suggested he used various objects such as cans to get the sound he wanted from the guitar. I like this style of experimentation when it can be backed up with brilliant playing in general and Hendrix has that in spades.

When I was younger I used to really dislike Hendrix's vocals but after years of listening to Black Metal I'm not bothered by vocals when the music is good, and his vocals have quite grown on me besides that. But what matters here is really just the guitar, the rhythm section is really solid but in the end quite poorly recorded and produced, so I've always seen them as merely adequate in the studio, especially on this album. The guitar playing takes such great precedence and that's why I feel a lot of people are quick to call Hendrix the greatest guitarist of all time. While he's certainly the best American guitarist if you exclude the older Blues players which I'd judge on completely different criteria he can be a bit overrated by a lot of people who fail to see the brilliance of more subtle guitarists.

For example Robert Fripp one of my all time favourite guitarists gets buried in top guitarists lists because King Crimson as a band had multi-instrumental talent and weren't an overtly guitar oriented band, that doesn't mean that Fripp didn't contribute amazing guitar playing to King Crimson, it's just not the main focus all the time. We really need to go back to prog soon, I'm getting that itch now, this album might be the last of our explorations into the 60's for now unless I decide to go for Led Zeppelin tomorrow, but I think I will save that for much later.

We'll see, and we can always come back to the 60's later and explore some American music from the era, maybe a bit of acoustic and electric Dylan and some Creedence Clearwater Revival. It's great knowing that there's always more music to explore and dig deeper. We have all the time in the world so I'll be able to show you pretty much everything there is to offer. I'll have to think a lot about what I want to play for tomorrow I guess. I wonder if I should continue to show you some great guitar playing even if I move away from the 60's. I'll let it be a surprise for you until tomorrow I guess, so I won't decide just yet.

I also realised we're onto the 25th day of doing this. Even if there's been a few days missed in-between and one completely falling off the radar due to my sleeping problem. Yesterday I spent some time outside playing a couple of Led Zeppelin albums and a David Bowie album. It was nice to listen to music outside and I have decided I really do need to listen to more music. Even if I'm not writing to you I feel like you're always listening with me regardless, it certainly feels that way.

I hope you enjoyed the experience today my angel. I love you, and miss you so much. Goodnight Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment