Wednesday 5 October 2011

Day 28: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello again my love, two times today, it feels good to be able to speak to you again. It's terrible when I have to miss a day, I've realised I really don't feel very well, I was basically just thinking that I was okay again since I was feeling better, but it was just by comparison. I hope you've had a great time between me bugging you.

This is Dylan's second electric album, even though it's only one side electric and the second side is acoustic just like earlier Dylan recordings. His usage of electric instruments was subject to some controversy with some believing it meant a move away from his politically charged recordings and becoming a more commercial artist, while the events have undoubtedly been exaggerated it's still interesting to look into.

Personally I do believe an artist can "sell-out" and purposely creative music to sell more albums but I don't think Dylan was one of those people. One of the reasons for the controversy was apparently the poor sound system used live which made the band and vocals distorted and very hard to hear. Either way people were unhappy but Dylan's electric albums were very successful.

There's something about almost all of Dylan's 60's releases that just have a disenfranchised feel about them. There's anger and protest which usually make great music of this type and Dylan's lyrics are just a great example of that. Dylan's lyrics don't deal with the conventional popular music subject matters such as love or having fun and decides to write about what is essentially his view and frustration of the world.

Dylan always makes me think and reflect about things, and it makes it hard to write. I really miss you and it's hard to come to terms with and accept what's happened. I thought the pain would ease with time and I'd be left with the good memories but the sense of loss just seems to get bigger as the days go by. I know one day it will be easier and we will be able to move on, it just doesn't seem like it's going to be any time soon.

I really want to start playing the guitar again and I think I might bring it up here soon if we're not going back home for awhile. I just want to write something for you that we can listen to together it would be nice, especially if it was ready for you soon, but I'd have to get good with the guitar first I suppose. I think I need a project to focus on like this so I think I will try to start writing something as soon as I feel ready.

Whatever I do end up writing I know it will never do you justice, I don't think anything on this world ever could. I miss you my angel Nathaniel goodnight.

Love From Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment