Friday 14 October 2011

Day 37: Led Zeppelin - Presence

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel, we got a nice new bear for your grave and it looks lovely and the jar matches the sun in a jar. I miss you a lot my love. I'm also renewing my Australian visa so we might be able to go there for awhile too but it might have to be quite a bit later.

Well here we are, the finest moment of Led Zeppelin's studio career. Presence starts with Achilles Last Stand which is in my mind undoubtedly their finest moment. Achilles Last Stand is epic in itself not only the feel of the song but the huge task Jimmy Page had in recording and mixing the song given the huge amount of guitar work that was put into it. Not only that but also given the short time Led Zeppelin spent in the studio recording and producing the album it's an incredibly impressive feat.

I think the reason I love this album so much is because of the tremendous amount of control Jimmy Page had over the writing and recording. Robert Plant was in the process of recovering from a car crash and was joined by Jimmy Page where they started writing songs, the album itself was recorded before Plant himself had fully recovered so Jimmy Page had significantly more control over the album because Plant was simply not up to it. Bonham and Jones had never traditionally been part of the writing process either so that didn't change with this album, however In Through The Out Door was dominated by Robert Plant and John Paul Jones.

This album has Led Zeppelin back to their roots, the songs are primal and full of life, and is quite probably the heaviest Led Zeppelin album. I just absolutely love every single moment of it. Nobody's Fault But Mine is most likely my second favourite Led Zeppelin song, not only is it great in the studio but it's absolutely amazing live. It's too hard to concentrate to write when listening to something this good, so just relax and listen with me my angel.

Goodnight Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment