Sunday 9 October 2011

Day 32: Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel. Starting to fool around with the guitar a bit today, not much but just a few riffs to see if I had any form of skill left. Basically I need to put in loads of hours before I can even begin to play competently but we'll see. I'm almost tempted to write something really heavy to just rock out to for you. I think that would be quite nice.

Speaking of rocking out to we're staying in 1969 with Led Zeppelin's second album, not exactly the most creative band when it came to their album names at the start of their career but still it offers a nice simplicity and makes it very easy to remember their albums. Also Led Zeppelin have always let their music speak for itself and in the end it was the music that made people buy their albums not fancy album titles and covers.

While I personally thinking Presence is the best Led Zeppelin album it's such a close call and it all comes down to Achilles Last Stand a ten minute epic on Presence that is undoubtedly the greatest thing they ever did in the studio. While of course Stairway to Heaven on IV has it's own brilliance and buildup I don't think anything can come close to Achilles Last stand. I normally hate comparing songs from an artist rather wanting to rely on the quality of the albums.

The reason I make the exception for Led Zeppelin is the overall quality of all their albums is so phenomenally high you have to look at your favourite individual songs to compare. Of course every time I listen to any Led Zeppelin album I immediately want to call that my favourite and the greatest ever. But once the ecstasy has worn off I'm usually able to step back and re-affirm Presence as my favourite album. The amazing thing is I don't know if it's my favourite album of all time.

It's interesting because I identified Close to the Edge as a perfect album, and it is, but it's not my favourite. Led Zeppelin is essentially the perfect band yet Presence is probably not my favourite album. I suppose I really need to have a large re-examine of my favourite albums and see if I could ever come up with a number one. In the end it will probably come down to my moods. I could eventually come up with a favourite album for each mood that I'm in but I probably can't advance from there.

I know that First Utterance by Comus will be high up there, however being an entirely acoustic it lacks a certain something that only the electric guitar can bring to the table. Of course that being said First Utterance is still a very heavy album both lyrically and musically. When it comes to metal my favourite album is Mardraum: Beyond the Within by Enslaved and I can't imagine that ever changing. I suppose having a favourite album of all time is not exactly that important. There's so many great albums out there that picking a favourite is quite daunting and will probably always be a disappointment making me want to change my mind.

Well my love that brings us to the end of yet another album, and yet another Led Zeppelin album, I enjoy doing the same band twice in a row. Not sure whether or not to keep going and play III tomorrow. We'll see, it would be kind of nice to blast through their whole discography before moving on. Once you rock you can't really stop. I love you my angel Nathaniel, goodnight.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment