Monday 3 October 2011

Day 26: Fairport Convention - Unhalfbricking

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my love, I feel a bit better today, and I feel like we can start looking forward soon, I want to make plans and be able to have something to look forward to. We're going to be contacting the charity that made our memory box soon about giving in our donations, that will be nice. I love you so much, and because of the help of the memory box we have even more to remember you by than we would have. 

I eventually decided to stay in the 60's but with a different twist, we've gone straight into folk with Fairport Convention. I really enjoy Fairport Convention and they have a lot of connections to explore. The band itself would go on to play on Nick Drake's first two albums and Sandy Denny would sing on Led Zeppelin IV's Battle of Evermore. So we'll call that our connection with the Yardbirds, even though it has yet to happen at the time of this recording.

I really enjoy this album along with their other 1969 recording Liege and Lief. While I have heard their first two albums as well I never found them as enjoyable as these. And I haven't really explored further into their long back catalogue. I suppose one day it would be appropriate but I've only explored what is considered essential. I should listen to their debut again and see what I think.

This album really showcases the incredible talent that was Sandy Denny, unfortunately she succumbed to drug use at the age of 31 and has since been mostly forgotten. I really enjoy the often subtle guitar playing as well on this album, despite being very much a folk album they use a lot of electric guitar throughout and it really adds an interesting tone to the recording. That's not to say electric guitars are uncommon in folk, it's just generally more associated with the acoustic side of guitar playing. Of course Electric Folk was also called British folk rock so it's not unexpected.

This album is really warm and lovely and it's always nice to listen to. It never disappoints me when I want to give it a spin and it always puts me in a folk mood. The thing is after something like Fairport Convention it's puts me in the mood to listen to folky metal which has always puzzled me. I'll introduce you to metal a bit later my love it takes awhile to get into and it has a stigma which I suppose it has deserved at some point, but to me music is just music and shouldn't be associated with or seen as something bad, unless it's pop of course.

If I had to say anything bad about this album it would have to be that the tracks don't flow very well throughout the album and it could have been done a bit better, possibly a track list change but I haven't really thought about it that much. It's a shame that a lot of albums suffer from this, I feel it detracts quite a bit from the album experience. If an album doesn't flow well it's easier to get distracted by the fact alone, at least for me, I start to think about how the album isn't flowing well rather than listening to the music. Again this is probably just because I have been spoiled by progressive rock.

Thankfully this criticism is minor with this album as the songs are very easy to get lost in. I miss you my angel, I wish it was easier than this, but I know that soon I will be able to only remember all the good times and how perfect you are. 

I hope you're having an amazing time just like you should. I love you my angel, goodnight Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment