Sunday 4 September 2011

Day 1: Yes - Close to the Edge

Dear Nathaniel,

It has only been five and a half hours now since we saw you for the last time, five and a half hours since I held your hand and kissed your cheek. I remember playing this album for you with your mam lying on the sofa and you just being our little baby wiggles, kicking when you heard this. I also remember only a day ago playing this song for you as we lay side by side with you in your little cot.

The reason I wanted you to hear this is because in my opinion is the perfect example of a Progressive Rock album, in fact it is probably the only truly perfect album only released. I wanted you to enjoy and love this piece as much as me. It's not my favourite album because that for me is a constantly shifting and fragile thing.

Down at the end, round by the corner. Close to the edge, just by a river. Seasons will pass you by. I get up, I get down. Now that it's all over and done. Now that you find, now that you're whole.
 I find in this album things which remind me of you, just like I do everywhere. While I had planned to play this for you when you were very little along with classical music I had not planned to play it again until you were quite a bit older. There is so much attached to the memory of playing this to you when you were still in your mam's tummy and having you kick whenever there was a bit of complex instrumentation or Jon Anderson sang a bit louder than normal.

All I can think as I listen is how much you mean to me and how much I will cherish the short time you, your mam and me spent together as a family. We had so much hope and so much love to give, and we will continue to give you all the love in the world. While doing this I also pray to send my love to you in heaven and I hope you can hear my words and understand how much you mean to me, to us.

I am holding your little baby mickey and cuddling your mother thinking of you, I know that you're with us and can see how much we love and miss you.

A man conceived a moment's answers to the dream. Staying the flowers daily, sensing all the themes. As a foundation left to creat the spiral aim. A movement regained and regarded both the same. All complete in the sight of seeds of life with you.
 I felt so prepared for every eventuality except for the reality of what happened. When we knew we had lost you on Monday I felt empty, plans dashed and wandering around a world that would not know you. I did not know how special it was when you came to see us on Friday and how comforting it was to be able to hold you and to share music with you. Everyone was so nice to you and your perfect little features made me so proud. I feel so privileged to have been able to meet you even for just such a short time.

You were able to hold out for a full 38 weeks before you fell asleep and I just feel so happy that I was able to spend that time with you, I keep thinking about how I slept holding your hand and how your mam did the same. And I keep thinking about your blessing and the words that you were given from God and how nice to was to be able to have family there too.

Even though the real album is over now, I cheated a bit and played Yes' lovely cover of America too since I played that when you were in your mummy and I remember you kicking when the guitar played. Thank you for listening with me and thank you for being such a blessing. You will always be in my heart and my memories and thoughts today and forever. Goodnight my angel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment