Friday 16 September 2011

Day 12: Rush - Moving Pictures

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel, it hasn't been long since we went to visit you today, it's so nice to be able to sit with you again. Whenever I see your face I just remember the day you were born and seeing you for the first time, so beautiful and so perfect.

Today as I told you before we're listening to Moving Pictures by Rush, another power trio but this time it's more prog than hard rock, even if Rush did have their roots in simpler music. This is one of my favorite non-metal albums from the 1980's and a progressive rock album at that, one released after prog was well and truly dead as a mainstream movement. Even so this was a very successful album, at least in North America.

There's something about this album which has always intrigued me, in a way it's quite polished, but it seems polished to preserve the often harsh and natural sound of the performance. It's something which is very often missing from modern albums, especially modern Rush albums. Either way the production really goes well with the album and it just sounds amazing.

I know it's different from a lot of the older, British progressive rock bands you've listened to so far but this Canadian effort really deserves acknowledgement for keeping prog alive in the 80's, even for just a short while. I think my favourite song from this album is the instrumental YYZ. Which is based on the airport in Toronto and playing YYZ itself in Morse constitutes the main riff and themes.

Your grandmother, my mother, is coming tomorrow. Hopefully she'll get to meet you tomorrow as well, that would be very nice. She's coming all the way from Australia a place that I had always wanted to show you, it gets very hot there at times which I'm not the biggest fan of though. I hope you like how music makes you feel and I hope you can feel how I feel when I listen to it while thinking of you.

I've listened to this album so many times over the years that I pretty much know it off by heart, I always played it when I was in the mood for something with big guitars and a prog rock vibe, which I suppose was a lot. I think the only album I've listened to more is Led Zeppelin's IV, which is a great album, even if it isn't my favourite Led Zeppelin album, that would be Presence. I might have listened to The Mars Volta's Amputechture more too, but it won't have been by much.

Either way I really love what Rush was able to do with three men and forty minutes, in the 80's the decade that good music generally forgot and production managed to ruin so much talent.

I still can't believe how lucky I am to have ever been able to meet someone as beautiful as you and be able to feel the love that I do for you. It just feels so overwhelming and amazing. Even if your time with us has been short, I feel like you have been the brightest flame in my life. And it's so easy to just bask in your memory and our love for you. I know the pain will take a long time to fade, but at least we can focus on the gift that your presence has been to us.

I suppose that this was always the plan all along, even if we didn't know it, so there must have been a reason for you to hold on for so long. I know that whatever was planned for you will find you well in heaven, and that you will know of the joy and love that you brought us, and that you will never know of pain, suffering or sadness.

And once again we arrive at this point, unfortunately the last song of this album is only a short four minutes. Even if it is a very catchy and good song. I love you my angel, you are the light of my life and I know you're looking out for us where you are. I hope you enjoyed Moving Pictures as much as I do.

Goodnight my angel Nathaniel, I'm thinking of you, now and always.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment