Thursday 8 September 2011

Day 4: maudlin of the Well - Part the Second

Dear Nathaniel,

Sorry I'm ten minutes late in starting but I was on the phone to your great aunt who sends her best wishes and love. Your mam has had to look after me a bit today because I'm a bit sickly and have a bad back but I'll be feeling better soon when it comes to that. We'll be thinking more about planning your funeral soon, I hope it does your memory justice and that it will be a celebration of our love.

This album was probably the last piece of music that I ever fell in love with, it hard to put into words, it just has its own special beauty. It makes me feel relaxed and always seems to magnify the mood I'm in, I suppose that it might have been a poor choice in that regard. Today has been hard and I hope that you know that even though I am sad now I never want you to ever feel that way or feel pity for me Nathaniel. You're the most important thing for us right now and I hope you know that.

We love you so much and that love will never fade as the days go by. It's hard to imagine ever being in this position but we want to stay strong for you, so you can see your mam and dad happy again someday.
Like a stone I fell, and was engulf'd in winter darkness. Silence filled each sphere from my lips escaped.
It's so hard to think about your funeral right now, and I hope you understand. Hopefully my mother will be able to be there too, coming all the way from Australia so we do need to set a date soon so we can get it all organised and perfect for you. I hope I'll be able to play you some of the music that we have shared together both before and after everything happened.

It has almost been a week since you were born and we were able to meet you and see how beautiful you were and every day since I have felt blessed that I was able to meet you and spend the time with you that I did. I was able to sleep a lot last night, and it feels nice to be able to do so, I hope you're sleeping well too and not worrying about a thing.

maudlin of the Well are a band that I had hoped to introduce you to much much later on when you were at least a teenager, if you still wanted my advice on what to listen to then. This album is completely different from their other work which is more metal than well whatever Part the Second can be classified as. This album has some beautiful Violin pieces which I have always loved especially when interspersed with more traditional rock instruments in a prog setting.

This album is an emotional roller-coaster for me, especially now, writing to you my son. The ending of Rose Quartz Turning to Glass makes my heart race and makes me miss you more than I ever thought possible. The feeling I get is the same as my memories of playing sport or chess at school, a feeling of competitiveness and the rush of winning. It's something I had always imagined being able to feel watching you compete in anything you had wanted to. Feeling fresh pride like I do right now for you. Don't ever doubt that I am proud of you for everything you managed. For being my perfect little angel.

It's always hard finding the words, and I hope that you can understand how I feel and how much I love you. This is the fourth time I have had the privilege of doing this with you and each time it just makes you feel closer to me than before and I take great comfort in that.
It isn't like planting a though in your head. Or an image of a though. But more like creating a thought. In sympathy with yours.
I don't want to be angry or bitter about anything however at some point it is nice to be able to release some energy. This album is certainly more energetic than the previous three and I think choosing from the music I have always wanted you to know is easier when I base it on my mood for the day. It certainly makes it easier to talk to you since I can channel my mood through the music.

That's why I don't like deciding on the next album until I feel ready. The one thing I don't like about Part the Second is how quickly it's over, even if it's the same length of most older prog albums. It's just so easy to get caught in my thoughts and have the minutes fly by. In a way it's refreshing since time feels like it's almost at a standstill everything is moving so slow. In a way it's nice since it feels like we have more time to think about you and how much you mean to us.

Your mam is sleeping next to me, even though the music is turned up as high as it can go, she's cuddling baby Mickey and I know that she sends her love.

Until tomorrow, goodnight my angel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment