Sunday 25 September 2011

Day 19: The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello again my sweet angel. Couldn't sleep at all last night so I've just woken up. Waking up can be really hard when reality just hits again, but I don't want your memory to be a sad one. I hope I'll be able to sleep properly soon, and I hope I stop being so ill. It can't be good to get so little sleep and stay awake for so long. I hope your light has been gathering lots of sun today so it can be lighting you up when we go down to visit tonight.

We talked about how exciting the late 60's were with all the diverging styles of the British blues bands so I decided to play you some Stones. I've always been torn when it comes to the Rolling Stones after the 60's but they were undoubtedly one of the best acts at this time. Their 60's work really is brilliant, and I hope to be able to play it all for you at some point, UK versions of course for their earlier work.

The Rolling Stones didn't go as deep into the Psychedelic as the Pretty Things, but they weren't playing the music of the future either, in the end this style of modified Blues faded away as well once the 70's hit. Of course that doesn't make it any less great to listen to now. Of course when it comes to rock music, we all know it was shifting towards the more heavy styles of Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin that both formed the year this album was released.

Led Zeppelin was born from the ashes of the Yardbirds another 60's mainstay, and we can get more of that tale when we get the privilege of listening to either band soon. The Rolling Stones are nice in that they have fundamentally good music that is incredibly easy and not at all challenging to listen to. So it's very easy to get into and appreciate it for what it is.

Of course you can't listen to Progressive Rock all the time as someone who has just been introduced to it. Prog doesn't get tiring to me, but it's something I know very well, but it's still nice to appreciate music like this. I had always wanted to teach you all about the history of rock and roll, and I hope I can give you some snippets through this, might have to dig up some of the old blues albums to show you the true origins of British Rock music.

I hope you're getting all the love and cuddles we want to give to you and more, I know you will be. I know there are so many people that would have been waiting for you to give you so much love and attention. It really is helping me keep everything together, knowing that you'll be with loved ones. I know it will not be the same as mammy and daddy but I'm sure a part of us went there with you. I hope you will never ever want for anything and that you can see how much we love you.

I love the musical style of Stray Cat Blues, it features a more chaotic guitar style that always sound really great to me, and a little tease of distortion from the Rhythm guitar leaves me wanting a lot more from the album, but that's how the stones were. They always changed things up and liked to keep a lot of their songs stylistically apart, at least at this stage.

And you always have to admire a band that switches between electric and more acoustic instrumentals quite seamlessly while still having their own unique sound on both. Of course the whole electric/acoustic thing was subject to heated debate at the time, I'll have to play you some Dylan, before and after to discuss that further. Of course British rock bands were heartily using everything at their disposal without really caring. At this point I could also talk about the rock ballad as it is somewhat similar but if we ever get to listen to some 80's rock/"metal" bands I could explain it better.

At the end of another album, I really don't like when they end, will probably have to start playing some modern or double albums to get more time with you. I love you. Goodnight my sweet angel Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment