Thursday 15 September 2011

Day 11: Budgie - Never Turn Your Back on a Friend

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello my angel, as you know we went down to see you today and you were just as perfect and as beautiful as we remembered. We've also arranged for flowers for you which look really good, it's a little teddy bear. When we were out we also visited cemetery and someone you've probably already met. I hope everyone's taking very good care of you my love.

Today I wanted to listen to something a bit heavier. This album from 1973 is by one of the few good things to come from Wales; Budgie, but don't hold that against them, they really know how to rock. Sometimes you just want something loud to rock out to and Budgie is generally a good, if not exactly common choice. Generally overshadowed by bands with more success, especially as the years go by and the collective memory begins to forget the music that defined the era.

There's something so liberating by this type of fast paced heavy music, one of the early precursors to metal a genre that I will eventually introduce you to, well the finer parts of metal at least. Norway has a special fondness for metal, or at least a special aptitude at creating it, but Norwegian metal is generally not appropriate for children so I will probably have to wait awhile to introduce you, even if you've already heard one of the bands in Ulver.

It was so amazing to see you again my lovely little baby Nathaniel, even if it was in a little coffin rather than your cot. You looked so peaceful and sleepy and adorable with your little hat on. It was so lovely, and I hope to see you again every day until Sunday when you come home to us. I hope everything will be really nice for you and that I will be able to find the right words to say for you.
You know I'll always love you. No matter where you are. Feel it all around you. My love will travel far.
I'm very glad I decided on Budgie today because I was really in the mood for something like this. And the best part of it is that it has a ten minute song to finish it all off, although we're not that far in yet. There's some great performances in this album too, especially the drumming and guitar work, it's a very complete package for a power trio.

Your great grandparents just rang and send their love and best wishes to you my angel. It's really good to know that there is so many people that love you. And there's so many people that will be able to look after you. Your mam says they'll all be lined up for the chance and I'm sure she's right. I know that our love will be all around you too, just like you're all around us.

It was so amazing to see you when you were born, the love we felt was so overwhelming and unlike anything we'd ever experienced. That is the love and bond that is shared between parents and child and it really is something truly beautiful and precious. I could never have imagined ever being able to experience such a strong and true emotion, thank you so much my angel Nathaniel, for everything.

I hope to see you again tomorrow, it was just so nice to be able to be there and talk to you, and I know that soon we will never be able to do that again like that. But I know you'll always be right there with me whenever I think of you, or want to talk to you.
Guide me to a place where I can stay. Wrap me up and keep me warm. Hide myself far from the storm. Sleep and love will keep my mind at rest. Only now I realise what my parents had to try. Love you all and keep you all my life.
 Everything just changed when we were expecting you, it was impossible to think about anything else without being reminded of the blessing that was going to come to us. I know that was not the plan that was put in place for you, and I know that you will be somewhere better. But the selfish part of me just wishes I was able to do everything that I had imagined and dreamed of with you. I know there's nothing gained from being bitter or angry so I won't be. I will however give myself the little privilege of being selfish for a bit.

And like that, for another day the album is ending, like it always does. And my thoughts are all of you my sweet angel. I love you, and want to tell you every day. I hope you enjoyed the album today, I know it gets a tiny bit heavy but that's just how rock is, and I love it.

Goodnight my sweet angel Nathaniel, I hope you sleep well with all of our love.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment