Wednesday 21 September 2011

Day 16: David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello again my angel. I kinda like this new time since it's always nice and bright outside when I write to you, at least until winter sets in a bit more. I had really been looking forward to winter, and having you all snuggly with us, we'll have to get extra snuggly for you if we're here for winter. My mam is on her way home now. We went down to visit you this morning and everything around you is very beautiful. I feel lucky that I'll be able to visit whenever I'm here, and I'll always know where you are.

I mentioned David Bowie earlier when talking about Frank Zappa, maybe it wasn't the most popular portrayal, but Bowie's music went significantly downhill later on in his career. This is his third album and definitely one of his best. I really like this Bowie period, it's 70's rocky pop at it's finest. While there is not much positive to be said about pop after the 70's there was a lot of good poppy albums released in the 60's and 70's. Of course those albums are those that relied mainly on rock mainstays such as the guitar or on solid musical background like Billy Joel.

I feel very comforted by the thought of you being safe and surrounded by love, it is one of the things that really help me keep going. It's already two days since your funeral, and it just feels like hours. It's so hard to put a perspective on things, especially when it's so hard to sleep. Everything just makes it a lot more difficult, it should be so easy to sleep since I can dream of you, but it's just so hard to settle down and drift off. So we end up staying awake for a long time between sleeping, and of course that ends in us sleeping for a long time.

I suppose we should just go about things day by day and not worry too much about things like sleeping patterns. I want to start getting into better shape soon though, maybe starting on Monday if I can, it's something I wanted to do after you were born, and I feel like I should still do that for you. I just want to make you proud and do right by your memory.

There's something quite intriguing about David Bowie, in that even when he was making good music, the whole style of his albums never seem to quite gel like the album of a real band would. There's always a jumbled mix of styles and musical themes that sometimes detracts from the experience. It's quite clear that Bowie viewed the album as more of a mix of songs than as a cohesive piece. Even on Ziggy Stardust, a concept album in it's own right I still get that feeling.

It might simply be because I'm so overly used to progressive rock albums that always somehow seem to come together really well because the band are all focused on one the one sound. Even Frank Zappa's Freak Out! for example where the whole point is to parody different genres it still feels cohesive because of that theme, which is especially significant since it's a double album.

I hope you enjoy this album, and David Bowie's good years as a whole, it's a nice view into the lighter side of guitar music. It always feels like it's more geared towards sales than music, but sometimes that can still result in good music. The title track is especially brilliant, but feels isolated from the rest of the album. I know I can be overly critical but I do really like David Bowie, it's just important to learn about criticising something that is overall very good.

Yet again we reach the end of another album, I really hope you're enjoying this as much as I am my little love. I love you so much, and I miss you. I hope you sleep very well tonight, and don't worry about us, we'll find sleep when we need it. Goodnight my angel Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment