Tuesday 13 September 2011

Day 9: Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink

Dear Nathaniel,

Hello again my love, I want something more happy and fun to make you laugh and make me feel better tonight. I really enjoy Caravan and the fun side of Progressive Rock which is unfairly labelled as something very stuffy and pretentious.

Days just start to blend together in a way which is odd given how slow time passes. Your grandmother, my mother will be there at the funeral, I'm very happy because she'll get to meet you in that way so at least some of my family were there. She's coming all the way from Australia, which is a place we've always wanted to go with you, we might get the chance later on this year or next year, that would be lovely and I know you'd be with us every step of the way.

Whenever I write to you it feels like you're so close, right by my side instead of just around me and that's such a big comfort. It feels like whenever I play music for you like I'm doing it completely directly my little angel. I know that most of the albums I've played so far have been progressive rock, but that's what is closest to my heart when it comes to music. And too few people appreciate it for what it is and how nice and enjoyable the music of the genre is.

I feel like we can almost see the top of the mountain now in a way, although it might just be another perceived top with yet another summit behind it. I want to feel better for you and honour your memory without sadness, but I'm not quite there yet.

I really like the title track, it just has a lovely little quaint melody and themes. You'll notice how this album has almost exactly the same structure as the last album with the first side consisting of four quite short 5 minute ish songs and then the second side having a 23 odd minute epic to end the album off. I really like the length of albums as dictated by the limits of Vinyl LP's. around 44 ish minutes is just the perfect length to keep the material strong and without filler.

Your grandad, my dad just rang, like he does everyday, he's thinking about you very much my little angel. Like we all are. I feel a bit overwhelmed writing to you today, it's so easy to just sit and think about you my angel.

Caravan are a Canterbury band which was a progressive rock movement that was centered around Canterbury and a lot of the best prog rock came from that area. I hope to be introducing you to a lot more Canterbury as the weeks go on and I really hope you are enjoying your first little taste of it. Maybe soon I'll be ready to listen to First Utterance by Comus with you, I don't think your mam would have approved of me playing that for you before you were quite a bit older.

I'll of course be playing you lots more progressive rock and Canterbury is no exception, I just want to introduce it quite lightly at first so I really do hope you've enjoyed your first taste. There is a lot of jazzy influences within Canterbury prog so I guess you were a bit ready for it since we played Lizard yesterday, I'm not sure whether to play you some straight up jazz next or introduce you to it more smoothly with some more fusion but I guess I'll do what feels right at the time.

I might see if I can find some Thelonious Monk to play tomorrow, it would be nice to relax a bit to some good hard bop, it's very good for the soul. I look forward to listening to it with you.

We love you so much my angel, I hope all your hopes and dreams are coming true for you and that you're as happy as a wonderful little baby should be. I hope you sleep very well tonight my little lovely, and until tomorrow. Goodnight my angel Nathaniel.

Love from Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment